I love maps. I always have. Whether they are antique and weathered, or new and bright blue, I can never resist them. Here are a few ideas for what you can do with them so they don’t just sit on a shelf gathering dust.
- Use an old window to frame the map and hang. Leave the window frame distressed to increase the antique appeal, but be sure to scrape and lightly sand to remove any loose paint chips, especially if you have children or pets.
- Use as the backing for a small book shelf, then use the shelf as intended or as a nightstand. This one in white is very pretty, but you could also coordinate the paint color with the map.
- Decoupage onto a light switch cover. Coordinate the outlet covers in the same room if you’d like.
- Decoupage the top of a small accent table. Cover with glass, or add a couple of coats of a water-based top coat to make it more durable.
- Use ModPodge to decorate some very unique canvas shoes.
- Use maps to cover a few hardcover books. Add them to a bookshelf, or stack them on a side table with a lamp on top.
- Create small notebooks. Use lighter colored maps to make the inner pages, darker maps to cover cardboard for the covers. Sew together with heavy-duty thread.